The jury has now selected 20 schools from 85 applicants for the German School Award 2023. Find out what was taken into account in the selection process and what happens next.
In the coming weeks and months, a 41-member jury comprised of educational scientists and administrators, and in-school specialists will decide who will receive the German School Prize from Federal President Steinmeier on 12 October 2023. The selection will focus on the quality of teaching and the design of learning and teaching.
To find out which schools are performing particularly well, the experts will visit 20 selected schools in the coming weeks. In interviews with teachers, pupils, parents and extra-curricular partners, they will assess six quality criteria:
- Quality of instruction
- Academic achievement
- Approach to diversity
- School culture, life and extracurricular partners
- School development
These characteristics are considered to be the hallmarks of good school quality. At the end of June, the jury will nominate 15 schools for the German School Award 2023. Then it's time to be excited, when Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier announces the winning school at a festive awards ceremony on 12 October.
But this is only the beginning: to spread good school practice, the winning schools' concepts will be evaluated and published in training courses, publications and online content on the German School Portal.
The Robert Bosch Stiftung has been awarding this prestigious prize together with the Heidehof Foundation and in cooperation with ARD and the ZEIT publishing group since 2006. It is the most demanding and highest-value prize for good schools in Germany.
The main prize is worth €100,000 and the other five prizes are worth over €100,000. All nominated schools that do not win an award will receive a recognition prize of €5,000.
- Hermann-Brommer-Schule, Merdingen, 79291, Baden-Württemberg
- Sebastian-Ott-Schule, Sigmaringen, 72488, Baden-Württemberg
- Grundschule Jettingen-Scheppach, 89343, Bayern
- Johannes-Kern-Mittelschule, Schwabach, 91126, Bayern
- Mittelschule Erlangen Eichendorffschule, Erlangen, 91058, Bayern
- Evangelische Grundschule Babelsberg, Potsdam, 14482, Brandenburg
- Johann Heinrich August Duncker Oberschule, Rathenow, 14712, Brandenburg
- Rothenburg-Grundschule, Berlin, 12165, Berlin
- Berufliche Schule ITECH Elbinsel Wilhelmsburg, Hamburg, 21109, Hamburg
- Heinrich-Hertz-Schule, Hamburg, 22303, Hamburg
- Anne-Frank-Gesamtschule Rheinkamp, Moers, 47445, Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Erich-Gutenberg-Berufskolleg, Köln, 51065, Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Franziskus-Schule, Erkelenz, 41812, Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Grundschule am Dichterviertel, Mülheim an der Ruhr, 45468, Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Josef-Albers-Gymnasium, Bottrop, 46236, Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Nelson-Mandela-Gesamtschule, Bergisch Gladbach, 51469, Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Raiffeisen-Campus, Dernbach, 56428, Rheinland-Pfalz
- Schule am Floßplatz - Grundschule der Stadt Leipzig, Leipzig, 04107, Sachsen
- Grundschule Op de Host, Horst, 25358, Schleswig-Holstein
- Leif-Eriksson-Gemeinschaftsschule, Kiel, 24109, Schleswig-Holstein