News
News Overview 2015

Welcoming the World to Southwest Germany

At the end of August, the 103 new students of the second-year group arrived at the UWC Robert Bosch College, meaning that all places are now filled for the first time. A total of 206 young people from all over the world are now living and learning together in Freiburg. Prior to starting at the school, many of the students had traveled long distances, as they hail from no less than 88 countries – from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe and from Brazil to Vietnam.

"A Place Where Diversity is Lived Out"

During his visit, Dr. Nils Schmid was eager to connect with the students and to learn more  about life at UWC. "Education builds bridges - asthe UWC Robert Bosch College with its students from all over the world is proving. This is a place where diversity is lived out.. At the same time, the school provides a perfect preparation for a globalized world. For Baden-Württemberg as an industrial location, it is a great opportunity for global networking," said Dr. Nils Schmid, Minister of Financial and Economic Affairs in Baden-Württemberg. "The UWC Robert Bosch College stands for the tolerance and openness of Baden-Württemberg. Here the students establish valuable contacts and build friendships that will certainly last for a long time and reach across borders."

The UWC Robert Bosch College is the first and only United World College in Germany. Just like the other 14 UWCs in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas, it is based on a one-of-a-kind school concept: young people from around the world and across all walks of life live and learn together for two years in an environment that promotes tolerance, intercultural understanding, peace, and fairness. The students graduate with an International Baccalaureate, which is recognized worldwide as a university entrance qualification. The students are selected purely based on aptitude and talent. Around 70 percent of students receive a full scholarship during their time at the school, with the remaining 30 percent supported by means of a partial scholarship. Everyone only pays what they can afford.

This unique high school is a joint project being carried out by the Robert Bosch Stiftung and the German UWC foundation. In addition, the UWC Robert Bosch College is being supported by the German state of Baden-Württemberg, which is covering half of the school’s operating costs.

Monument Protection and Sustainability

The UWC Robert Bosch College, which opened its doors in September 2014, is located in a former Carthusian monastery that was renovated in close consultation with the cultural heritage department of the regional council in Freiburg. This included the elaborate restoration of the protected baroque buildings, as well as the addition of a glass-paneled auditorium and student village.

A combined heat and power plant and a solar power system supply the village with heat and power in line with the college’s focus on environmental consciousness and sustainability. In the course of regular lessons and in various projects, the students study ecology and the environment in detail and come to grips with the question of how technology can help bring about sustainable ecological development and peace. In the new school year, for example, there are plans to calculate the school’s ecological footprint and to grow sufficient organic crops to turn the entire grounds of the school into an "edible campus."

The new year in pictures and numbers

2015-08-24_0952_001_200x145.jpg

More Information