- 2 weeks of advanced training in project management, public relations, fundraising, and audience development
- 6 weeks of job shadowing in a vibrant socio-cultural organization, including a small-scale project grant of up to Euro 1,500 each
- Stipends, covering accommodation costs in Germany, travel expenses and monthly subsistence of Euro 800
START - Create Cultural Change
A program for cultural managers in Greece
START - Create Cultural Change is a capacity building and fellowship program for aspiring cultural managers in Greece. The program supports creative minds kick-starting cultural initiatives that generate a positive social impact on their local communities. By facilitating growth and exchange in the socio-cultural sector, START aims at creating new perspectives for young professionals in Greece and at fostering social cohesion in Europe.
Phase I: Capacity Building
September - November
The two-month capacity building program in Germany offers 30 START fellows the opportunity to enhance their applied knowledge in international cultural management. It also helps them shape their idea for a cultural initiative into a viable project design. A pitching event marks the end of phase I, gaining successful fellows access to the project implementation phase.
Phase II: Project Implementation
December - May
The six-month fellowship and project implementation phase in Greece provides 15 START fellows with funds, networks, and a support structure to launch their cultural initiative in Greece. It also offers them an opportunity to promote themselves as cultural managers. A two-day START Fellowship Celebration event concludes phase II, providing all fellows with a public platform to present their projects and networking opportunities with public and private donors.
- A coaching scheme, furthering grant management, entrepreneurial and problem solving skills
- Project grants of up to Euro 10,000 each
- Stipends, covering travel expenses to START events and a monthly subsistence of Euro 800
Phase III: Scaling
September - onwards
START Scaling Grants will be awarded to exemplary initiatives of the program that excelled in creating a positive social impact, sparked cultural innovation and showed potential to be continued and expanded in the future. These project grants are being provided by supporting organizations of the program in Greece. Accordingly, the availability, number and amount of scaling grants may vary between program years.
- Every program year, START seeks to facilitate 3 to 5 scaling grants with a budget ranging between Euro 5,000 and 15,000 each
- Alumni network activities
Cultural Managers in Greece
We welcome applications from aspiring cultural managers permanently residing in Greece who combine a successful graduation in academic or artistic studies with a record of first working experience in the area of culture. Key to applying to START is the aim and commitment to kick-start and to sustain an independent cultural initiative that generates a positive social impact.
- Permanently residing in Greece
- Graduate in the area of arts and cultural studies OR graduate of another area with work experience in the cultural field
- Junior management experience with cultural initiatives through volunteering or professional work
- Good command of English
Please review if your culture initiative is geared towards:
- Motivating existing potential in your cultural area
- Actively involving your local community in the process
- Connecting with local cultural institutions
First of all, START offers cultural mangers in Greece participation in a rich capacity building and fellowship program. Please refer for details to comprehensive program overview.
Living costs and travel expenses
- During the time of participation in the START program (i.e. in phase I and phase II), all START fellows will receive a monthly subsistence of Euro 800.
- Accommodation in Germany during START phase I will be provided through the program.
- Travel expenses, which are part of the program, will be covered as well.
- Completeness of application
- Statement of motivation
- Originality and maturity of proposed culture initiative
Successful applicants will receive an invitation to an interview which will take place in the second week of July at the Goethe-Institut in Thessaloniki. Travel expenses will be reimbursed up to Euro 100.
Cultural Centers in Germany
We also welcome applications from German cultural centers and initiatives which are eager to offer one cultural manager from Greece a job shadowing opportunity as part of the START capacity building program. We particularly encourage organizations to apply that focus on a socio-cultural approach in their activities.
- Organizing the fellow's accommodation (rental costs will be reimbursed up to max. Euro 750 for six weeks)
- Mentoring the fellow personally and in English during the six weeks of job shadowing
- Providing the fellow with insight in your center’s work and the current activities
- Actively involving the fellow in a project your institution is planning to conduct or prepare in the time of the job shadowing. The program is open for any kind of artistic reflection (performing art, visual art, media, literature, etc)
- Providing the framework which enables the START fellow to launch a small scale project in your institution as part of the job shadowing (project costs will be reimbursed up to max. Euro 1.500).
- Supporting the fellow in developing the idea of his project with which he can apply to phase II of the program (focusing on fundraising, cost and financing plan, acquisition of participants, project management, public relations and communication strategy)
- Euro 3.500 fixed administration costs;
- up to Euro 1.500 max. reimbursement of expenses (material costs, fees) for implementation of a small-scale project
- up to Euro 750 max. reimbursement of rental costs for the fellow’s accommodation
Please note: The fellows receive a monthly subsistence of Euro 800.
Robert Bosch Stiftung
Phone: +49 (0)711 46084-683
Phone: +30 2310 889 587
Bundesvereinigung Soziokultureller Zentren e.V.
Phone: +49 (0)30 397 44 596
(Wednesday and Thursday)