In cooperation with the German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF), Washington, D.C., the Zeit-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius, Hamburg, and The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Milwaukee, WI, the Robert Bosch Stiftung founded the TA, located in Washington, D.C. at GMF's headquarters, in 2007. Further partners are Compagnia di San Paolo, Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, Joachim Herz Stiftung and Volkswagen Stiftung. Working together from a transatlantic and interdisciplinary perspective, TA Fellows use research, publications, and ideas to make policy-relevant contributions to policy debates facing the transatlantic community.
The TA intends to strengthen the transatlantic partnership by:
- supporting intensive research and discussion on one major topic per year
- incorporating an interdisciplinary view, with Fellows from different generations from both sides of the Atlantic
- sustaining research over a period of ten months and organizing discussions with political and economic leaders
- disseminating the results of research systematically to policy-planning staffs, government legislators, and European Union officials through targeted media and public outreach on both sides of the Atlantic
- hosting workshops, seminars, and lecture series on issues related to the academic topic
- featuring its website as a resource for research, relevant data, and discussion
To pursue its goals, the TA invites applications from scholars from North America and Europe to become residential Fellows.
The TA is comprised of six scholars - four Fellows and two junior Fellows. Fellows will be in residence at GMF's Washington office for up to 10 months, and will actively participate in a collaborative environment, sharing and discussing their work with each other and Academy guests. In order to facilitate these discussions, Fellows will attend biweekly lunch sessions and respond to one another's work.
The Fellows of the program year 2014-2015 worked on the subject "Religion and Foreign Policy". The Fellows of the current fellowship year work on the topic "Russia and the West". During the dissemination trip the Transatlantic Academy fellows presented the report to selected audiences in Europe.
Latest final report